If you have been charged with sexual assault, it is vital to seek legal representation as soon as possible. Sexual assault allegations are taken very seriously, and a being convicted of sexual assault secures consequences that will follow an individual for the rest of their life.
What Classifies Sexual Assault?
Sexual assault is any type of sexual activity without the consent of the person being pursued and it can present itself in a variety of ways. It is also important to note that in a number of sexual assault situations, the victim usually knows the perpetrator. Generally, the most well-known form of sexual assault is rape. While rape can take on several forms, the most common are:
- Date rape: Rape committed by someone that the victim is dating.
- Acquaintance rape: Rape committed by someone that the victim knows, such as an acquaintance, friend, co-worker, date, or spouse. Most rapes are acquaintance rapes.
- Stranger rape: Rape committed by someone that the victim does not know.
- Alcohol-involved rape: Rape in which the perpetrator, the victim, or both are under the influence of alcohol at the time of the incident.
Other forms of sexual assault include:
- Attempted Rape
- Sexual Harassment
- Child Sexual Abuse
- Forced Sexual Acts
Again, working with a seasoned criminal defense lawyer is pertinent in sexual assault cases, especially if you have been falsely accused. Ensuring your rights are protected throughout the entire process, and that you understand the ramifications, is extremely important. Being charged with sexual assault holds a serious stigma and can impact your life immensely in the long run.
What If I Have Been Falsely Accused?
If you have been falsely accused of sexual assault, it is best to respond quickly and effectively with a criminal defense attorney on your side. Oftentimes, when an individual knows they are innocent, they won’t take the allegations as seriously as they should, and this has serious consequences in most cases. In working with a criminal defense lawyer, you will be educated on the ramifications and how to properly handle the entire legal process. Unfortunately, this is a daunting process, but when working with a criminal defense lawyer, you may be able to confront the allegations head on in hopes of putting the entire thing behind you. Below are the steps you should proactively follow in order to secure your freedom and protect your future:
- Hire a criminal defense attorney with experience and expertise in this area of practice.
- If applicable, your defense lawyer may recommend a polygraph or psychological evaluations.
- Write down and record your account of what happened, providing as many details as possible.
- Compile a list of witnesses who can attest to the events at the time of the alleged sexual assault.
- Do not provide law enforcement with any information that could be used against you.
If you are falsely accused of sexual assault, and are convicted of the crime, just a few of the consequences could be incarceration, difficulty obtaining employment, becoming a registered sex offender, and have restrictions on where you can live.
Are You Facing Sexual Assault Charges?
If you have been charged for sexual assault, contact our dedicated criminal defense lawyers at Premier Federal Criminal Defenders today. We will face the charges head on. We have years of experience in handling sexual assault cases and will work with you to form the best defense possible. Call today for a free consultation, 1-800-455-6200.